Monday, May 23, 2011

Disciplined or Motivated?

This has been a topic of much discussion today both before and after drinks so you know it's been thoroughly covered. The question is: is there such a thing as discipline or are we only motivated? I think people only respond to motivation, and, at its core, discipline is just a fancy first layer of motivation.

For example, why do I run? It's for sure not because I'm disciplined. I run because I want to be a size 8 and still be able to eat bon bons. Motivation. Not discipline.

Why am I taking a break from grading to write this blog post? It's for sure not because I have anything important to say or because I'm forcing myself to do so. It's because I made a public (sort of) goal of blogging every day after my birthday and I'm too damn proud to not live up to that. Motivation. Not discipline.

Why the hell am I grading papers at 9:41 instead of watching Make It or Break It (because I'm a grown-up)? Is it because I'm disciplined and that's what disciplined teachers do? Umm...hell no. It's because I promised the kiddies these would be graded and in their hands by tomorrow and that promise is motivating me to get this crap done. Motivation. Not discipline.

I mean who can deny kiddies who decorate for my birthday....three days late? And by decorate I mean vomit tinsel and glitter everywhere.

Is there really no such thing as discipline? I'm not disciplined at all...but I am motivated. There is a world of difference between the two.

Ok, this subject came up today as we were discussing carrots for honors students as they run the gamut of state testing. What could their motivator be? I'm so proud of us as a department because I really think we came up with a great idea to motivate them to do well for FOUR years on these mandatory tests. I'm freaking stoked about it.

I'm also freaking stoked that my EOC scores came back in and that they are fairly decent. More on those tomorrow after I get a look at the hard numbers. YAY!!

So here's today's outfit:
I didn't want to put it on again because I'm all sweaty from running. Gross, right?? So it's all placed on the bed and what not. Hippie chic.

No comments:

Post a Comment