Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Wrap it up, Trojans!


Seriously, that was our motto the year we made our first run at state. Because we’re classy like that.  
I had never even thought about state. I just wanted to beat ‘evil’ CC and DC. But we just kept winning. We steamrolled districts, regionals, substate and got our butts handed to us at state. I had amazing sophomores and seniors that year who kept hitting big hits and getting to big blocks, a junior setter with a tough mental game who ran what I wanted without me having to tell her, and a junior libero that just ate court.  We were pretty beast, and it was a formula that worked...until we made it to state, lost two straight and headed back home. The girls were pleased, but, honestly, I wasn’t. So I began to plan that summer how to make it back.
Last year, our motto was STATE! We called state when we passed balls, when we left huddles, when we won games. We lived and breathed playing state ball to make it back.  Just make it and win a set. Just make it and win a set. We won a whole freaking match! And came very close to winning the two we lost that put us out. It was better, but not good enough.
This year, I know what we need to do in order to win. I want to start the second day at state in the winner’s bracket so we need to win both games on the first day. It is very do-able. Returning players look strong, have tournament experience and they’re mean. They want to win so badly.  We have some key spots to fill this year but I think we’ve got the determination to make things work for us when we need to. The girls are definitely willing to put in the work and grit and grind out a win. That’s what it takes. 
A couple of things are in our favor this season: big hitters and blockers are coming back, most for at least two more seasons. We still have a very tough serving game. Mentally, we’re strong. Our district has been split into divisions and that plays into our favor. Heavily for now. I could see that downswinging in the next few years though. Most importantly, what’s looking like my varsity squad for next season has tournament experience and they want to go back. Winning one match wasn’t enough. They want them all. I love it!
You see, I’m very competitive. I HATE to lose...very very Ricky Bobby when it comes to playing ball. I love that these players are so competitive too. I love that with volleyball, unlike the classroom, there is instant gratification when it comes to instructing. Often times a student will have to practice a while to get a skill- constant review. In volleyball, by the time these girls make it to high school - because I have such an awesome prep program- it’s more about minor adjustments and mental capacity to remember and execute than teaching footwork or ball handling skills. After a long day teaching, it’s really rewarding to teach a play and then watch it unfold again and again in practice perfectly. Like we’ve done it all of our lives. 
Hurry up, August! I’m ready for October.

No comments:

Post a Comment